Staying in a relationship doesn’t mean that you just want to be in it. It means that you willingly put yourself in a relationship where you want to stay LOYAL.
To me, I think loyalty is more than just not sleeping with other people. It’s being involved in keeping the relationship going and showing more than just a little interest in the future. Being involved and engaged like that shows you care about what happens in the future which shows you believe there is a future in the first place.
- Being loyal means being respectful of your partners’ weaknesses and discretely helping them compensate for those weaknesses.
- Being loyal means never saying anything that may shame your mate in private or public.
- Being loyal means keeping confidences, without fail.
- Being loyal means siding with your partner, even when you think he or she may be partially at fault.
- Being loyal means reassuring your partner that you will be there emotionally and physically, whenever you are needed and following through with this promise. Your presence, helpful action and kind words are important signs of trust and security for your mate in the relationship.
- Being loyal means keeping your partner’s needs as primary over all other peoples’ needs.
- Being loyal means keeping your word, being truthful and reliable in keeping your promises to your other half.
- Being loyal means accommodating your mate- even when it not a choice activity for you.
Either you want to be in a relationship with someone or you don’t. If you do then cheating on them would hurt them and hurt the relationship. If you want to be in a relationship with them then why would you do something that would hurt it?
If having someone that’s loyal to your relationship is important to you then date/marry/whatever someone that also really thinks its important. I can’t tell you how many of my friends have dated men that clearly didn’t think loyalty was a thing and were then surprised when their man wasn’t loyal. A man who is loyal will go out of his way to let you know it. It will be something he wants to express.
If you want to show loyalty then you better be willing to make sacrifices. There’s no other test out there that shows whether someone is really loyal or not than them having to do things they’d rather not do or are uncomfortable with.
Simply put, loyalty is the pillar of your relationship. If you got that wrong, there ain’t going to be anything in the relationship that’s going to be worth being in.